Approximately 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water. Water makes up almost 60% of the human body. There’s no denying water is one of the most important substances in our lives. That is until you get it coming through your RV roof. That’s exactly what happened to us recently. Here’s how we fixed it.
How To Replace Your Broken RV Skylight.
Trippin Brehenys uses affiliate links which means we may get paid a commission if you purchase through one of the links on our site. This is at no additional cost to you. See our full disclosure Here.
Time To Complete: 1 to 2 hours
- Replacement skylight.
- (2) Tubes of Dicor self-leveling lap sealant.
- (1) Roll of butyl tape.
- Denatured alcohol or mineral spirits.
- Caulk gun.
- Philips head screwdriver.
- Putty knife, scraper, or chisel.
Let’s Jump In And Get It Done:
- First, get all of your tools and materials on the roof.
- Clear away any debris from the old skylight and your work area.
- Using your putty knife, scraper or chisel remove the old lap sealant being careful not to puncture or tear the existing roof.
- Remove all of the screws and set them aside.
- Remove the old skylight. Hold down the roof skin in the area you are pulling up to avoid rips or tears.
- Clean up the old lap sealant and butyl tape that was underneath the old skylight as best as you can.
- Liberally clean the area where you removed the old lap sealant and butyl tape using a rag and denatured alcohol.
- Apply butyl tape to the bottom edge of the new skylight ensuring no gaps all the way around.
- Place the new skylight over the opening and align the screw holes.
- Put the screws in and tighten (do not overtighten as this may strip the holes).
- Apply the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant liberally being sure to cover the edges of the new skylight and all of the screws.
- After an hour or two check your work and apply more lap sealant if required to fill in any gaps.
Expect to use up to (2) full tubes of the self-leveling lap sealant.
Now just clean up and throw some steaks on the grill.
Check out our YouTube video below: How To Replace Your Broken RV Skylight.
Comment below and let us know how your project went.
Here are some Amazon affiliate links to the material you may not have laying around.
BEST VALUE on the Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant (8) tubes.
Be sure to check us out on our YouTube channel at Trippin Brehenys and don’t forget to like and subscribe.
For more of our instructional content click on How To.
Until next time, we’ll be seeing you… ON THE ROAD!